Asta [ア ス タ Asuta] is an orphan left in the care of a church in the village of Hage. He is the wielder of a five-leaf clover grimoire and is a third-class Junior Magic Knight of the Clover Kingdom’s Black Bull and Royal Knights squads. He is the main protagonist of the Black Clover story.
Asta is a short young man with an exceptionally muscular build. He has green eyes and messy ash blonde hair with a single strand that sticks up from the center of his head. He maintains his hair along with a black headband, which has the gold colored Black Bull insignia and has a red four-pointed star with three stitches at the back.
Asta’s common attire consists of a plain white tunic with a V-shaped neck under a dark blue jacket whose sleeves extend only to the elbows. He is sporting a matching pair of shorts that have stitch marks on the left side. His pants also extend just below his knees. His shoes are made of two different fabrics, the parts that cover his ankles, the soles the same color as his jacket and pants. The parts that cover the toes are white, a vertical stitch mark that runs from the bridge to the toes.
After receiving his grimoire, Asta wears a pouch tied to a brown leather belt. Additionally, as a member of the Black Bull, he wears his squad’s signature robe, which is black and short with gold trim and covers the upper half of his torso. It also has a hood and a gold colored button located on the right side to hold it together, while the left side displays the squad insignia.
After six months of training at Heart Kingdom, Asta has become more muscular. In addition, he wears a tight black shirt that covers his shoulders, upper arms, and part of his chest. It is open in the middle and has a gold shamrock on the right side. Over this, he wears a modified version of his squad’s signature robe that is draped over his left shoulder and tied with a red cord that wraps around his neck. His headband features three red four-pointed stars on the front right and the Black Bull insignia on the left. He also wears a pair of high-waisted black pants tucked into knee-high boots and a large, double-prong brown belt, from which his grimoire bag hangs.
In his Black Asta form, his right arm is covered in black Anti Magic, a black wing sprouts from his right shoulder, a black horn sprouts from the right side of his head, his right upper canine tooth is elongated, and his right eye turns red. . with the pupil becoming like a slit. As he resorts to more Anti Magic, more of his body is covered, additional horns form on his head, his right lower canine tooth lengthens, his right hand and foot transform into claws, a smaller wing sprouts from his shoulder left and a tail. grows from your back. After making a deal with the devil, Asta’s right arm takes on a craggy appearance and his fingers are clawed and lighter in color than the rest of his hand.
Asta is generally cheerful and hyperactive. He tends to yell to express his thoughts and goals, much to the chagrin of some of those around him and often despite the opinions of other people. One of the earliest examples of this is when he conveyed his goal of becoming a Magic Emperor during the Magic Knights entrance exam and told other people who were making fun of him to be quiet. Asta’s simple yet outgoing personality is frequently played to comedic effect during more serious situations. However, his strong tenacity interests Yami Sukehiro enough to recruit him into their ranks, and his determination also leads him to possess an indomitable will. Asta’s determination to never give up, coupled with his own strength of steel during grueling or tough battles, is a trait that becomes the basis for others to recognize him, like Magna Swing. However, Asta has been shown to have had trouble accepting his lack of magic, using his boisterous attitude as a facade to hide his insecurity. After Vetto broke his arms and cursed him, Asta nearly sank into a depression before speaking and forcing himself to move on.
Due to his upbringing in the Forsaken region, Asta frequently receives cruel opinions and insults from almost everyone he meets. To counter this, Asta seems to have developed a slightly sarcastic nature as he tries to defend himself. The regularity with which you are exposed to such degrading comments is such that you now have some immunity to them, which shows when you easily ignore them without being too upset. However, Asta can still get irritated when others deeply insult his companions; he will not hesitate to face them while trying to defend his friends,
Asta also has a strong sense of justice, shown during his fight against Heath Grice, as he believes that everyone deserves to be protected. He’s also not limited to just his comrades, but his enemies as well, as noted when he asks his squadmates to take the unconscious Mars along with them as the dungeon collapses. He argues that their mission is only to explore a dungeon, as they are not ordered to kill any enemies. Thus, Asta seems to see the bright side of everyone and never takes an insult too seriously, as seen when he still befriends Yuno and Noelle Silva even after they both openly despised him. Even when Fana is trying to kill him and his allies with all his might, he tries to reason with her as a means to understand her and dissuade her from her rage, showing consideration for non-violent methods of conflict resolution. He later continues to do this with the reincarnated elves, despite being unsuccessful between repeated attempts.
However, Asta also believes that those who have done wrong should work to actively make up for their wrongdoing. He always holds his enemies accountable for their misdeeds, regardless of whether he has forgiven them or not. First shown when he asks Neige to spend time in prison before promising to become his friend, Asta then demands that the weakened Ladros apologize and help all the people he has hurt. In another example, he subdues Rades during their next meeting, nearly breaking his arm until the latter successfully convinces him that he will use his powers to help the people of the capital rather than take revenge.
His open, friendly and non-judgmental demeanor, indomitable will, and stubbornness have earned him the respect of almost everyone he meets, including nobles like Klaus and Fuegoleon Vermillion. He has also gained the affection of numerous girls, although his love for Sister Lily, combined with her somewhat dense personality, has made him largely oblivious to this fact. This love for Lily and oblivion also makes him somewhat chivalrous and not perverted, as he steadfastly refused to attempt to spy on the girls while bathing in the hot springs.
While he is an immensely endearing and honest person, who can win over people with his tenacity, Asta can seem quite stupid to those around him. Noelle often calls him Stupidsta when she tries to suppress her feelings for him, or when her naivety and ignorance take over. Asta isn’t exactly stupid, but growing up in an orphanage in the middle of nowhere has left him ignorant of many things others consider common knowledge, and his stubborn nature makes him appear like the stereotypical musclehead with little to no brain. His naivety constantly leads him to blurt things out with little to no tact or care for the situation at hand, and his blind trust in the people in the kingdom despite evidence to the contrary has made him very easy to fool, depending on the situation. The courts have taken advantage of his trusting and truthful nature and he came close to pleading his guilt without thinking about the consequences while at trial. He is also very ignorant about many things in the kingdom and about his duties that magic knights should know with most of his disbelieving squad mates that he doesn’t know so many simple things like how corrupt the system ruled by the nobles really is, that it nearly cost him and Marie their lives.
Battle Prowess & Abilities
- Anti Magic: Asta uses this unique energy to nullify magic. Despite not having the ability to use magic, Asta’s control over his Anti Magic energy, as well as the uniqueness of this power itself, has earned him the rank of arcane stage mage. Attacks imclude.
|Bull Thrust||Black Hurricane|
|Black Meteorite||Demon-Dweller Sword: Black Slash|
|Demon-Slayer Sword: Black Divider|
- Union Magic: Asta combines his Anti Magic with Gauche’s Mirror Magic.
- Expert Swordsman: Asta initially has a badass style due to having an unconventional sword and has only received basic training from Fanzell Kruger. Over time, he develops greater skill through battle experience, additional swords, and ki detection.
- No Magic Power: Asta has no mana and therefore cannot use magic. This allows Asta to wield Anti Magic without suffering the debuff effects as he has no magic to drain. This also makes him undetectable to mana sensors and immune to the life-draining substance from the underworld.
- Enhanced Strength: Asta possesses a high level of physical strength, capable of doing a thousand push-ups with one hand, swinging heavy swords with one hand, and punching holes in rock walls without hurting himself. Asta can swing his swords with such force that his opponents smash stones when they collide. The Witch Queen further enhances her arm strength using Blood Magic.
- Enhanced Speed: Asta is capable of moving at a higher than average speed, leading William Vangeance to think that he has used magic to help himself.
- Enhanced Durability: Asta possesses high durability, as seen when he is able to stand upright, despite taking numerous attacks from Heath. She is even able to emerge from Licht’s attempted collapse relatively unscathed alongside Yami.
- Enhanced Instinct: Asta possesses a high level of instinct, as demonstrated when he can unconsciously move his body in the best way to defend himself.
- Ki: A principle that originates from Yami’s homeland, this allows Asta to use a sixth sense and perceive and react to invisible attacks and people.
- Keen Intellect: Despite her hyperactive and headstrong nature, Asta has proven herself to be intelligent and thoughtful in her own right. He understands many situations he finds himself in and can be tactical when necessary, such as cutting curses with his swords and thinking of different tactics in battle. He is shown to be a fast learner, as he quickly learned to use Ki from Yami‘s guidance in the midst of combat, and he harnessed the latent powers of the Demon-Slayer Sword simply by watching its original owner fight.
- Possessed by the Devil: As the bearer of a five-leaf clover grimoire, Asta is connected to a devil who possesses Anti Magic, granting him access to energy. The more power he uses, the more evil his appearance becomes. Asta agrees to a deal with the devil: his right arm in exchange for more power from the devil. This increase in power allows him to negate a gravity singularity and coat additional weapons with anti-magic; however, it is limited to 50 seconds of use.
Thank For Reading
- Asta’s New Form & Deal With Devil – Black Clover
- Black Clover | Asta is An Angel or Half Devil | Who is The Anti-Magic Demon?
- Asta And Yuno Are Lichts Son Origin Theory
- Why Asta Has No Mana & Has 5 leaf Grimoire